Graig started his legal career in the Energy Litigation Group of Fulbright & Jaworski LLP's Houston Office and was named Partner in 2007. Graig participated in a wide assortment of royalty litigation, working interest owner disputes, and various complex oil and gas litigation matters, including participation in several trials and arbitrations.
From the outset of his career, Graig's technical background and legal training allowed him to assume vital roles in high profile catastrophic incident matters for Fulbright's clients. This invaluable experience gave him both a legal and practical understanding of how to identify and work with internal client systems in the management and litigation of such catastrophic events.
In January 2010, Graig co-founded Fernelius Alvarez PLLC, continuing the same practice he enjoyed at Fulbright and further developing his niche in complex commercial litigation matters and catastrophic incident legal response and management.
In July 2016, Graig and two colleagues, Kara Stauffer and Lance Bremer, whom he has worked closely with for years, opened Alvarez Stauffer Bremer PLLC to continue to serve the same and new clientele with the same level of expertise, professionalism, and enthusiasm for the practice of law that they have always provided.
Graig has trial and arbitration experience and has successfully argued before both the Texas Supreme Court and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Representing an insured oil and gas distribution company, Graig's recently argued and won a Texas Supreme Court case, which he briefed with partner Lance Bremer, that was identified as one of the Top 10 Insurance Opinions in the United States in 2015.
- Texas, 1997
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
Classes and Seminars
- Speaker, “Who Are Best Positioned to Decide Disputes Arising Out of the Shale Gas Boom: Arbitrators or Judges,” International Energy Arbitration Conference, February 2014
- Speaker, “Are you Ready? Managing the Major Corporate Crisis,” Texas CLE Presentation, 2012, 2013
- Speaker, “Catastrophic Events: Assisting Your Client to Plan and Deal with a Crisis,” Advanced Oil & Gas Short Course, February 2009
- Instructor, “International Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation,” Universidad Panamerica, December 2008
- Speaker, Panel Discussion, “Catastrophic Events,” October 2008
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1997
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: With Honors
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- B.S. - 1990
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Texas Rising Star, Law & Politics
- Texas Super Lawyer
- Cooper Cameron Corporation, Design Engineer/Project Manager, 1990 to 1996
- Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P., Partner, 2007 to 2010
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy Litigation
- Mass Tort and Catastrophic Incident Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
Pro Bono Activities
- ESCAPE Family Resource Center, Member of Board of Directors, 2007 to 2014
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Texas Transnational Law Quarterly, Member of Editorial Board, 2006 to 2008
- National Moot Court Championship Team, 1997
- Contributor, "International Litigation: Defending and Suing Foreign Parties in U.S. Federal Courts", American Bar Association, 2003
- Co-author, Practical Guide for Conducting Extraterritorial Discovery for Use in U.S. Litigation, 2001
- Author, "Adarand v. Pena-The Supreme Court's Continuing Journey to the Legal High Ground", South Texas Law Review, 1995